1. Mason County PSD is now producing water from our Ashton Water Plant. The plant is providing water to Jerry’s Run Road; Hannan Ashton –Upland Road and Rt. 2 south from Robert C. Byrd Dam to Glenwood, and all surrounding areas. The plant is using an improved upgraded “Green Sand Plus” filter media, which uses chlorine only to treat the water. Higher doses of chlorine are needed to clear-up a light tan tint to the water, caused by high levels of iron in the well field.
2. Besides killing dangerous germs like bacteria, viruses and parasites, chlorine helps reduce disagreeable tastes and odors in water. Chlorine also helps eliminate some bacteria, molds and algae that commonly grow in water supply reservoirs, on the walls of water mains and in storage tanks.
3. The Ashton Plant has been online since March 25, 2021. We continue to adjust and tweak chlorine dose rates in the effort to find the optimum amount that satisfies both color and taste. We ask that you are patient with us as we work through this process.
4. In the meantime, you may experience a higher chlorine smell and/or taste than you have been accustomed to in the past. I can assure you that our water is safe and well within the EPA’s and state levels that are considered safe in drinking water. Chlorine levels up to 4 parts per million (ppm) are safe. The PSD’s levels for finished water are averaging 1.8 to 3.0 ppm. Our certified water operators continue to test and monitor water quality 24/7 throughout the week and weekend. The district is engaged regularly with the West Virginia Department of Health Environmental Engineering, which provides guidance and testing. Our District Representative has stated that our Ashton Plant is producing some of the cleanest water in the state.
5. To lessen the effects or remove the chlorine from the drinking water, you can :
•If your water has set stagnant for 6-8 hours plus, you may flush your lines for a brief period of time
(2-3 minutes). Best to use outside spigot; frost free spigot; utility tub; bath tub or sink.
•Fill a carafe/container/jug with water in the morning and let it set in the open air or in the
refrigerator. Drink throughout the day.
•Boil the water and let it cool. Drink throughout the day.
•Invest in a filter jug: ideal for families.
•Invest in a water fountain: an ideal solution for businesses.
6. Thank you for your time and understanding. We are all excited that we now have another plant online producing water. The Mason County PSD and its staff remain committed to providing you, the customer, with quality water and timely service.